Why use Positive Looking?
- Easy to understand
- Gives straightforward instructions and targets
- States clearly what to look for and how to chart progress
- Observations are simple to track and evaluate
Watch the video about how a Service for VI have used Positive Looking across their Local Authority special schools.
You can download the case study and a step by step guide to how Yvonne Smith, lead teacher for VI for Bradford, implements a strategic approach to using Positive Looking across all local authority special schools.
Benefits of Positive Looking
- Practitioners in schools have improved understanding of children’s vision
- Practitioners can pinpoint the child’s vision needs and deliver appropriate targeted interventions
- Offers a whole school consistent approach to embedding vision targets within children’s daily curriculum
- Practitioners can work with children and also map their development at the same time
The programme can be adjusted according to age and ability and incorporated into a child’s personal learning plan. It is designed for and is widely used by specialist practitioners.
Positive Looking includes:
- An overview of visual skill development
- Ideas and visual skills activities
- Examples of planned intervention sessions
- Suggested goals, materials and resources
- A framework for monitoring and evaluating progress
- Photographs of resources and activities
Practical training on Positive Looking
Courses on how to get the most from Positive Looking 1 and 2 are also available.
“In the last three years since Positive Looking has become a part of the syllabus in Bradford schools, I have noticed not only improvements in the development of the children, but an increased conﬁdence amongst teaching staff, and more accurate reporting of progress.” – Rachel Pilling, Ophthalmologist
“I don’t know why everyone in the country isn’t using Positive Looking. In my opinion every special school should have a copy.” – Yvonne Smith, Advisory Teacher for Children with VI and additional complex needs, Bradford
“Positive Looking provides everything you need in a simple, straightforward system that would take years to develop yourself.” – Teacher of the Visually Impaired, North England
‘I use Positive Looking 1 weekly with a child with very complex health needs who has frequent admissions to GOSH. Her hospital teacher has remarked on how well she is now using her vision- a child who was thought to have no useful sight. Positive Looking has enabled me to deliver a bespoke programme which is fun – and works!’ Teacher of VI, South England