Why use My Hat – Your Hat?
- Independent approaches to searching and scanning techniques
- Searching and scanning techniques through touch
- The concept of ‘other’ and another’s perspective other than one’s own
- Skills for communication and positive social behaviours
- Cooperative interaction
- Physical orientation & understanding
- Comparative discrimination
- Understanding of physical qualities & attributes
- Supports assessment of tactual skills
- Supports assessment of use of low vision
- Use to train in efficient use of low vision
- Supports the development of collaborative learning
- Encourages the child to set the criteria for success
- Teachers of children with visual impairment can demonstrate the planning of effective interventions and recording outcomes (OFSTED)
“Parent: Which part of the game was your favourite?
Child: I liked all of it
Parent: Did you enjoy the shapes or the pack of different textures?
Child: I liked them both”